We All Live in Jena; National Call to Action
Monday, October 1st, 2007 at Noon, Central Time.
Artist/ Activist Mos Def along with M1, Talib Kweli, Malcolm X Grassroots
Movement, Sankofa Community Empowerment, Change the Game, National Hip
Hop Political Convention, Hip Hop Association, and student leaders from
50 campuses call for a National Student Walk-Out to rally and show
support for the Jena 6, who are being denied their human rights by the
Louisiana criminal justice system.
The Case of the Jena 6
Last fall, when two Black high school students sat under the
"white" tree on their campus, white students responded by
hanging nooses from the tree. When Black students protested the
light punishment for the students who hung the nooses, District Attorney
Reed Walters came to the school and told the students he could "take
[their] lives away with a stroke of [his] pen." Racial tension
continued to mount in Jena , and the District Attorney did nothing in
response to several egregious cases of violence and threats against
black students. But when a white student--who had been a vocal supporter
of the student's who hung the nooses, taunted a black student,
called several black students "nigger"--sustained minor
injuries from a school fight, six black students were charged with
second-degree attempted murder. Last month, the first young man to be
tried, Mychal Bell, was convicted. He faced up to 22 years in prison for
a school fight until the Black people began to organize and his
conviction was thrown out because he was tried as an adult. However the
DA and the Judge still refuse to set a reasonable bail or to drop the
charges in this case and Mychal is still in jail!!
Mos Def is asking students worldwide to assist in the fight against
racial injustice and show solidarity for these young people, who have
been treated unequally by the law. The prosecution of these young men
symbolizes a terrible miscarriage of justice, by punishing students who
opposed segregation in their schools and disregarding the threatening
acts of others who advocate it.
As students and activists we say enough is enough! What is happening in
Jena is happening all over this country. From Sean Bell to Mychal Bell,
the criminal justice system is killing and incarcerating us. We will not
be silent!
Demands Judge J.P. Mauffray and District Attorney Reed Walters have
engaged in a string of egregious actions, the most recent of which was
the denial of bail for Bell on Friday. We call for:
1. All charges against the Jena 6 be dropped
2. The immediate release of Mychal Bell
3. The United States Department of Justice to convene an immediate
inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the arrests and prosecutions of the
Jena 6;
4. Judge Mauffray to be recused from presiding over Bell 's juvenile
court hearings or other proceedings;
5. The Louisiana Office of Disciplinary Counsel to investigate Reed
Walters for unethical and possibly illegal conduct;
6. The Louisiana Judiciary Commission investigate Judge Mauffray for
unethical conduct; and
7. The Jena School District superintendent to be removed from office.
Other endorsers include: Common, Immortal Technique, NyOil, Cynthia
McKinney
For more info contact info@mxgm.org
To add your school to the list assata@pitt.edu or spjlewis@hotmail.com
Mychal Bell freed on
bail
By Monica Moorehead
Mychal Bell, one of the Jena 6, was freed on $45,000 bail Sept. 27, a
week after the massive demonstration of tens of thousands in Jena, La., and
across the U.S. This was a victory won only by the mass protest, but it is not
complete. The district attorney says he will retry Bell as a juvenile.
Sept. 21, 2007 —The day after tens of thousands of people, mostly
African Americans, marched and rallied Sept. 20 in Jena, La., to demand justice
for six Black teenagers known as the Jena 6, Mychal Bell, the only one of the
six who is incarcerated, was refused bail. That bail had originally been set
for $90,000.
Along with Bell, Robert Bailey Jr., Carwin Jones, Bryant Purvis, Theo Shaw
and Jesse Ray Beard were originally charged with second-degree attempted murder
and conspiracy in the beating of a white student, Justin Barker, last Dec. 4.
Barker was able to attend a school function the same day after being released
from the hospital.
Three months before the arrests, racist students had hung three nooses from
a “white students only” tree that Black students defiantly sat
under at Jena High School. The Black students had asked permission from the
school administration to sit under the tree.
Charges for four of the Jena Six have since been reduced to battery as they
await trial. If convicted, these youths could receive up to 22 years in prison.
One of them has been allowed to attend school while the other four remain
expelled.
Three white teens who hung the nooses were suspended from school but were
not prosecuted. According to the law, the nooses were a
“prank.”
When one of the Jena Six attended a mostly white party soon after the Dec. 4
incident, he was physically attacked. As of now, no one has been arrested for
this racist assault.
On the other hand, Bell has been incarcerated for the past nine months. He
was convicted of attempted murder charges and remained so until the week before
the Sept. 20 protest, when a state appeals court overturned the conviction. The
ruling stated that Bell could not be tried as an adult. Bell has turned 17
since his arrest.
On Sept. 21, Bell’s parents, Melissa Bell and Marcus Jones, other
family members and supporters attended his bail hearing in a Baton Rouge court.
His parents brought fresh clothes for him to change into in anticipation of his
release. It was not to be.
The same judge who presided over Bell’s trial as an adult stated that
Bell was not to be released until prosecutors decide to appeal the state
ruling. Bell’s parents left the courtroom stunned and in tears.
Prosecutors could possibly institute new charges against Bell.
Bell’s parents along with the Rev. Al Sharpton will be meeting with
U.S. Rep. John Conyers in Washington, D.C., on Sept. 25 to seek Senate Judicial
Committee hearings on the Jena Six case.
After the massive Jena Six rally in Jena, a Ku Klux Klan youth was spotted
by Black protesters driving a pick-up truck with two nooses hanging from it in
the nearby town of Alexandria. Also, a neo-Nazi group has made death threats
against the Six on its Web site and have actually published the addresses of
some of the youths.
Larry Holmes, a leader of the Troops Out Now Coalition, which is organizing
a week-long encampment Sept. 22-28 at the U.S. Capitol to demand an end to war
funding told WW: “The case of the Jena Six is much more than the racist
persecution of six Black youth in the Deep South. This case and countless
similar but lesser known cases personify the widespread epidemic of
criminalization and scapegoating of Black people, especially young men, by the
government from the East Coast to the West Coast and in between.”
Holmes went on to say: “The demonstrations in Jena and
throughout the country on Sept. 20 were very significant, especially for the
truly massive outpouring by the Black community. What was disappointing was the
small turnout by whites who should have been in Jena also in huge numbers
alongside their African-American sisters and brothers. This type of
multinational unity would have shaken the foundation of the racist status quo.
There has be a concrete commitment especially on the part of whites to show
anti-racist solidarity with Black people, immigrants and other people of color
who are on front lines when it comes to resisting repression. This is a clarion
call to the entire movement to make this a top priority no matter what kinds of
struggles you may be involved in.”