Eyewitness Egypt: Thousands fight police in Tahrir Square
By Joyce Chediac
Jul 11, 2011
Thousands of angry Egyptians took to the streets of Cairo and Alexandria at
the end of June, battling the Central Security forces for hours before
successfully pushing the riot police back. These were the most intense clashes
in five months, since Egypt’s 18-day revolution in January that ousted
U.S.-client Hosni Mubarak.
The clashes saw the reappearance of the Central Security forces, who
descended upon the demonstrators en masse, blanketing the crowd with tear gas
and shooting rubber bullets at protesters, including the families of those
martyred during the revolution.
This police riot came exactly five months after the Jan. 28 victory of
Egyptian students and workers who fought the cops throughout the country and
won. They sent the regime’s thugs running back to their enclaves and even
burnt down police stations.
In what some are calling a new stage of the struggle, Egypt’s current
ruling military council has shown itself to be the same repressive, brutal and
unaccountable force as the old Mubarak regime.
At issue for the people is the military government’s failure to
implement demands made in the mass national demonstrations of January and
February. Specifically, people are enraged at the government’s refusal to
bring to justice the police responsible for the murder of demonstrators and its
repeated postponement of the trials of key figures in the former Mubarak
regime.
Some former government ministers have been found guilty of corruption, but
the trials of the two men many hold responsible for the police killing of
unarmed demonstrators — Mubarak himself and the much despised former
Interior Minister Habib el-Adly, who was in charge of the police — have
yet to take place. On June 26, el-Adly’s trial was postponed for a second
time. Families of the martyrs of the revolution weren’t even allowed in
the courtroom.
The June 30 trial of two Egyptian police charged with the death of Khaled
Said, a 28-year-old man beaten to death in Alexandria last year, was also
postponed. Said died in June 2010, after being dragged out of an internet
café by plain-clothes police and assaulted in the street. Facebook pages
set up to tell Said’s story were used to coordinate Day of Rage protests
on the streets of Cairo on Jan. 25, beginning the struggle that ousted
Mubarak.
Meanwhile, police accused of killing demonstrators continue in their posts,
and families of the victims report these cops are using their clout to try to
bribe or threaten them to drop their legal cases.
Families of martyrs attacked by police
The June 28 pitched battle in Cairo began when police blocked some families
of martyrs of the revolution from attending a meeting commemorating those
killed. They were attacked and arrested, causing angry protesters to gather at
the Interior Ministry, which controls the police. Later thousands flooded
Tahrir Square in solidarity. Protesters defended themselves against the police
as they had done in the past — by breaking up the sidewalks in the square
and pelting attacking police with pieces of concrete.
Thousands again took these issues to Tahrir Square on Friday, July 2,
building roadblocks and setting up a tent city where some planned to stay until
their demands were met. They want justice for the more than 850 people killed
and the estimated 6,000 to 11,000 wounded during the revolution.
The street battle continued on July 3, according to demonstrators, after the
tent city was attacked and set on fire by a group that contained police agents.
As the struggle in Egypt continues, the next major demonstration in Tahrir
Square has been called for July 8.