Click here to go to home page

Eyewitness Cairo--a blow-by-blow account

These reports from Cairo are from Faiza Rady, formerly a resident of Philadelphia, who has returned to Egypt

February 11, 2011

“There are decades when nothing happens; and there are weeks when decades happen,” said Lenin. He was so right. This is how in Egypt decades of political oppression were erased in less than three weeks, when Hosni Mubarak was forced to leave office today. For the past 18 days of the revolution, events have moved at a breathtaking pace.

This evening at about 6 p.m. I heard shots near my house. Diamond, my dog, began to howl. “They’re starting it all over again”, was my immediate thought. “They” being either the police, Mubarak's paid thugs, or even soldiers randomly shooting at suspects breaking the curfew. But when I went out on the street smiling people shook my hands, congratulated me, saying the dictator had finally resigned.

From a distance I could hear the sound of women ululating, like they do at weddings. Caravans of cars were driving by, blowing their horns three times in a row – to signal their joy. Strangers spontaneously shook hands and embraced, saying “alf mabrouk”, 1000 congratulations to you. I felt I was in a new world, created by the revolution.

Things looked very different this morning. On my way to al-Tahrir Square, people looked anonymous; they walked briskly, without talking or looking at one another. It makes perfect sense, because one out of every 40 Egyptian is connected to state security or the police. People walking to the square know that they are most likely surrounded by informers, so they remain silent until they reach what everybody calls “liberated land.” On the outside, repression and police brutality are insidious, ever-present; they’re part of the fabric of daily life.

No more. The revolution has transformed Egypt's reality. I open an email from a friend, it says: “free, free, free at last.”




Previously:

January 29, 2011

There is no police force. They disbanded. There are thugs on the streets. These are the thugs who break up demonstrations. They have done that, of course, with the big demonstrations here. They are like an auxiliary police force. In the demonstrations it is very clear who is who because the thugs all stick together. Then they start beating on people so that it looks that the demonstrators are breaking things and killing people. I have seen the people who do this a lot and know they are part of the police.

But now it has really gotten out of hand. Yesterday, for example they destroyed the National Democratic Party headquarters and police stations and things like that, but today they are attacking schools and stealing equipment. It is looting and random destruction.

Can you imagine they destroyed a hospital? There is a children's hospital which was just built 3 years ago. It was built with donations. It is very well-equipped. It is supposed to be the best hospital in Cairo and can you imagine? They ransacked the hospital, destroyed the equipment. It is horrible! In Cairo there are a lot of street children and youth who live on the streets. A U.N. report estimates that there are between 2 million and 6 million street children.

Now the police have totally withdrawn. I have not seen a single policeman out on the streets. I live outside of Cairo and the traffic police aren't even out.

A friend who lives close to the Nile told me that he saw around 20 army tanks go towards the south which is the direction of the jail. There are people trying to break out of jail, so they sent the army there. There is random shooting which I hear from time to time close by.

All the opposition political parties came out for the uprising. They said they want to form a government with all the political forces that have been with the people, and who have been organizing these demonstrations. They say they want to hold elections and change the constitution once the new government is in power. But they are weak. The political parties do not really have a strong popular base and nobody has control of the army. The President has control of the army and he just appointed as Vice President Omar Suleiman, who was the head of intelligence. So you can imagine, this guy is going to be worse than Mubarak.

So right now there is a vacuum on the streets. You do not know what the army is doing; you do not know what is going to happen. I think it is going to become a police state with Suleiman in power. And I think Mubarak is going to go because apparently his whole family fled. They are all in London. And he is going to leave things with this former head of intelligence who has the backing of the army. So Mubarak appointed Suliman as Vice President to please the army so it will side with him.

The opposition and the young people who organize the demonstrations and who are on the streets cannot stand up to the army. It is not like in Tunisia where the army did not support Ben Ali and he had to leave. The others do not have the support of the army either, but will be able to form a coalition government and protests are going on. But Suleiman has the support of the army. I think the army is going to control the situation in a couple of days once Mubarak has left. This is the way I feel, I don't know, you never know what is going to happen.

I do not see the army siding with the opposition, simply because they have been very privileged by the president and that is why they support him. And they know that they will be even more privileged by Suleiman.

Right now it looks grim because people are being attacked. The houses and hospitals are being attacked, people are scared. They are organizing street patrols. Each street has a number of people out to protect the area. But they are not armed. The others are the ones that have arms.


January 31, 2011

There is a call for a million people demonstration tomorrow. I will try to go and will give you a report.

Right now they have supposedly blocked off the square where all the demonstrations take place. They are putting huge cement blocks into every entrance of the square. I think they are doing it because they are checking the identity of the people who go in and checking if they have arms. Because yesterday there were people who had infiltrated from the police and started shooting. One person died. So they want to make sure that nobody goes there with arms. But so far, no one has announced that you cannot go to the square.

And I think that more and more people are going because yesterday, for example, a group of lawyers and judges joining the demonstration. There is a very progressive group of judges who have been demonstrating for a long time because there is no freedom in the judicial system. A great part of the judicial system is controlled by the party, which tells the judges how and what to rule. A group of judges is trying to get freedom for the judiciary, and has come out with very good rulings. But the problem is that nothing is enforced. These judges have even come out with rulings against the government, for example, because it refuses to set a minimum wage.

And this is one of the demands of the demonstration-- a call for minimum wage. One hundred two thousand pounds should be considered the minimum wage. That is only about $250. This s a ruling was not enforced by the government; but they should be enforcing it in the private and public sectors. There is no minimum wage now but the government says it is 350 pounds, less than a $100 a month.

So there is a very progressive wing of the judges, and the fact that they are joining the demonstrations says a lot about the support that the demonstrations are getting across the country.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a very big day and I will let you know.


February 1, 2011

The demonstration today was huge, a million or more from all walks of life and all ages. It was very orderly and peaceful. The army issued a report earlier that it would respect the integrity of people and that it supported the people's demands. It did not repress the demonstrators but was friendly and courteous with the people.

The demonstration was against the Mubarak government, but it was also against Suleiman and any attempt by Mubarak to continue the regimen with other officials. It was against the corruption in government by business men. The demonstration called for the formation of another government that will draft a new pro-people constitution.

The demonstration was anti-imperialist, very anti -U.S.A. and anti-Israel - with many signs in English. It was pro-Palestinian.

However, it seems that Al Baradei could be the next head of state. He is secular although a liberal and for a free market. He opposed the invasion of Iraq, and has the backing of the Muslim Brotherhood which has resources.

February 2, 2011

Is Egypt at the tipping point? Things are moving so quickly. Yesterday at the demonstration of a million the people were hopeful that they had won the day. Workers, in particular, those who started the strike and factory sit-in movement in 2003, were a visible and proud group at the demo. They are the ones who made this intifada possible by starting the resistance movement.

Also Egyptian tenant farmers, whose lands were repossessed by the government's 1996 tenant laws, formed a big and militant group. They came from their villages in the Nile Delta, and southern Egypt, wearing their distinctive traditional clothes, long flowing garbs called "gallabiyas." They are also among the people who resisted the pro-U.S. "government of businessmen", as it is called here.

But today things look very different. The pro-Mubarak paid thugs have regrouped. Yesterday they were 500 of them, now there are 10,000. The people at Tahrir Square are battling them. So far, the people are resisting and holding out against the gasoline bombs.


February 3, 2011

Below is a statement issued today by the youth in Tahrir Square

A Statement from the protesters at Cairo's Tahrir square to the Egyptian people

The President's promises and the bloody events of Wednesday February 2

We the protesters who are currently on sit-in at Tahrir (liberation) square in Cairo since January 25, 2011 strongly condemn the brutal attack carried out by the governing National Democratic Party's (NDP) mercenaries at our location on Wednesday February 2, under the guise of "rally" in support of President Mubarak. This attack continues on Thursday February 3. We regret that some young people have joined these thugs and criminals, whom the NDP is accustomed to hire during elections, to march them off after spreading several falsehoods circulated by the regime media about us and our goals. These goals that aim at changing the political system to a one that guarantees freedom, dignity and social justice to all citizens are also the goals of the youth. Therefore we want to clarify the following.

Firstly, we are a group of Muslim and Christian Egyptians; the overwhelming majority of us does not belong to political parties and have no previous political activism. Our movement involves elderly and children, peasants, workers, professionals, students and pensioners. Our movement cannot be classified as "paid for" or "directed by" a limited few because it attracted millions who responded to its emblem of removing the regime. People joined us last Tuesday in Cairo and other governorates in a scene that witnessed no one case of violence, property assault or harassment to anyone.

Secondly, our movement is accused of being funded from abroad, supported by the United States, as being instigated by Hamas, as under the leadership of the president of the National Assembly for change (Mohamed El-Baradie) and last but not least, as directed by the Muslim Brotherhood. Many accusations like these prove to be false. Protesters are all Egyptians who have clear and specific national objectives. Protesters have no weapons or foreign equipment as claimed by instigators. The broad positive response by the people to our movement's goals reveals that these are the goals of the Egyptian masses in general, not any internal or external faction or entity.

Thirdly, the regime and its paid media falsely blame us, demonstrators, for the tension and instability in the streets of Egypt in recent days and therefore for damaging our nation's interests and security. Our answer to them is: It is not the peaceful protesters who released the criminal offenders from prison to the unguarded streets to practice looting and plundering. It is not the peaceful protesters who have imposed a curfew starting at 3 o'clock PM. It is not the peaceful protesters who have stopped the work in banks, bakeries and gas stations. When protesters organized its one-million demonstration it came up in the most magnificent and organized form and ended peacefully. It is not the protestors who killed 300 people some with live ammunition, and wounding more than 2,000 people in the last few days.

Fourthly, President Mubarak came out on Tuesday to announce that he will not be nominated in the upcoming presidential election and that he will modify two articles in the Constitution, and engage in dialogue with the opposition. However the State media has attacked us when we refused his "concession" and decided to go on with our movement. Our demand that Mubarak steps down immediately is not a personal matter, but we have clear reasons for it which include:

His promise of not to run again is not new. He has promised when he came to power in 1981 that he will not run for more than two periods but he continued for more than 30 years.

His speech did not put any collateral for not nominating his son "Gamal", who remains until the moment a member of the ruling party, and can stand for election that will not be under judicial supervision since he ignored any referring to the amendment of article 88 of the Constitution.

He also considered our movement a "plot directed by a force" that works against the interests of the nation as if responding to the demands of the public is a "shame" or "humiliation."

As regards to his promise of conducting a dialogue with the opposition, we know how many times over the past years the regime claimed this and ended up with enforcing the narrow interests of the Mubarak State and the few people who control it.

And the events of Wednesday proved our stand is vindicated. While the President was giving his promises, the leaders of his regime were organizing (along with paid thugs and wanted criminals equipped with swords, knives and Molotov bombs) a brutal attack plot against us in Tahrir square. Those thugs and criminals were accompanied by the NDP members who fired machine guns on unarmed protesters who were trapped on the square ground, killing at least 7 and wounding hundreds of us critically. This was done in order to end our peaceful national popular movement and preserve the status quo.

Our movement is Egyptian - Our movement is legitimate- Our movement is continuing

The youth of Tahrir Square sit-in

February 3, 2011 at 11:30am


February 4, 2011

I went to the Friday, Feb. 4 demo along with more than 2 million people. It was a unique experience. It felt energizing, exhilarating, like being part of history in the making. Young and old, women and men, and smiling children, workers, peasants, and middle class people, all rhythmically chanted in unison, “The people are saying the dictator has got to go!” and “The people are saying the regime has got to go!” “Kifaya” (enough), is a word that the masses repeat over and over again. “Kifaya” is a group that started the “illegal” protest movement in 2004.

Since 1981, the year Mubarak came to power, we have been living under so-called “emergency laws” where an assembly of more than 5 people is illegal. So to witness more than 2 million say “kifaya” and assembling in defiance of repression is truly liberating. For the first time in a long time I feel free.

At noon, prayers started for the martyrs of Wednesday's massacre, when Mubarak's thugs killed at least 11 people. People carried signs showing the cross and the crescent intertwined. Moslems and Copts (Egyptian Christians) pray together to morn and honor the martyrs.

Loading

UPDATED Feb 12, 2011 10:41 AM
International Action Center • Solidarity Center • 147 W. 24th St., FL 2 • New York, NY 10011
Phone 212.633.6646 • E-mail: iacenter@iacenter.org • En Español: iac-cai@iacenter.org