Haiti 2010: Earthquake, cholera, fixed elections and resistance
By G. Dunkel
Jan 19, 2011
Haiti has endured a year of unimaginable and profound suffering, under a
government dedicated to greed and serving the interests of the imperialists.
More than 1.5 million people are living in huts or under sheets and tarps
throughout Port-au-Prince, still homeless since last January’s
earthquake. There is an unemployment rate of 80 percent. More than 3,600 people
have died and another 171,000 are infected from the cholera epidemic, imported
by Minustah, the U.N.’s occupation force.
But the last year also saw mass, popular anger and militant street protests
over the terrible conditions and the fraudulent November elections and phony
vote count.
The voting was so obviously rigged that 12 of the 18 presidential candidates
demanded the elections be annulled. Some candidates even demanded that
Provisional Electoral Council (CEP) members be arrested on fraud and incitement
to violence charges.
The CEP announced on Dec. 7 that President Rene Préval’s
protégé Jude Célestin had edged out popular singer Michel
Martelly for a run-off spot in the presidential election against Mirlande
Manigat.
However, the popular reaction was swift and angry. Protesters shut down most
of the major cities. Barricades were burned. As a result, the CEP and
Préval backed down and said the results were provisional.
The Organization of American States then sent a “technical”
mission to Haiti at the end of December to review the election’s vote
counts, aiming to arrive at a politically acceptable arrangement for the
Haitian ruling class and their imperialist patrons.
The OAS’s subsequent report found rampant voting irregularities and
fraud, which invalidated the purported voting results. It said that Manigat was
in the lead, with Martelly second and Célestin third. Haiti-Libre says
that it appears that Manigat and Martelly will be the candidates for the second
round. However, this result was only due to the people’s struggle in the
streets against the phony election.
The elections were fake from the start because the most popular political
party, former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide’s Fanmi Lavalas, was
excluded from the ballot by the CEP — because if Fanmi Lavalas, a party
detested by the imperialists, ran, it would win. Even the CEP found that less
than 23 percent of eligible voters went to the polls, very likely because they
didn’t like the choices.
The Préval administration hasn’t even been able to keep its
handpicked members on the Interim Haiti Reconstruction Commission, in charge of
approving all international fund allocations donated after the earthquake, from
kicking up a fuss. The 12 Haitian members wrote an open letter to the IHRC
chair, former U.S. President Bill Clinton: “The twelve Haitian members
signing this letter feel completely disconnected from the activities of the
IHRC. ... In spite of our role in the governance structure of the institution,
we have so far received no follow-up on the IHRC activities.” (Le Matin,
Dec. 12)
Before the earthquake, Haiti had the lowest income of any country in the
Western Hemisphere, the least developed state institutions like schools, roads
and water systems, and no functioning sewage treatment plant. This was the
result of 200 years of economic isolation and intensely greedy neocolonial
exploitation. Losing 316,000 people in the earthquake, with hundreds of
thousands more severely injured, put unbearable stress on its institutions.
This natural disaster cost Haiti $7.75 billion last year, and the
country’s gross domestic product declined by 7 percent, according to the
U.N.’s Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean.
Barely any of the large donations pledged by the imperialist countries have
arrived, nor have they provided much help in building housing and sanitation
facilities or providing medical care. Private nongovernmental organizations
have offered some relief and medical care — services that governments
furnish in wealthier, more developed countries.
The cholera epidemic is a huge problem. Clean water, soap and latrines would
prevent cholera from spreading, but millions of Haitians have no access to
these simple necessities. The disease is easy to treat, but, according to
Reuters, the Cuban Medical Brigade and Doctors Without Borders provide most of
the care to cholera victims. (Jan. 5)
The government hasn’t yet chosen one of the proposed plans to move the
earthquake debris, so barely 5 percent of the debris has been removed. Without
this, houses or even temporary shelters can’t be built. The one
large-scale temporary housing project, for about 15,000 families, was put
together on a flood plain with no reasonable access to schools or jobs. Some of
the shelters first put up are now falling apart.
However, despite the deep hardships endured by the Haitian people, they are
fighting back. When Préval tried to commemorate Haiti’s independence
in Gonaïve’s main square on Jan. 1, the people booed him down. Anger
is growing among the people of Haiti, especially those living in the camps, who
have had no improvements in their living situation.