Former Yugoslav president puts NATO and The Hague Tribunal  in the defendant's chair / Jugoslawischer Ex-Präsident setzte die NATO und das Haager Tribunal

By Werner Pirker 
junge Welt, 15.2.2002, page 1

Milosevic's day

The third day of the trial in The Hague against the former  Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic belonged to the  accused. In keeping with his strategy of denying all  legitimacy to the tribunal, Milosevic shaped his speech on  Thursday (Feb. 14) to raise charges against the "illegal  court" and against "NATO's criminal war against  Yugslavia."

Milosevic's presentation was calm, factual and made with  winning logic. It was the greatest speech of his life.  This time he was speaking, not before a million  enthusiastic followers, as he did in 1989 in the Field of  Blackbirds, but before a court, whose very existence was  based on its task of banning him from human society.

In this microcosm, in which he is imprisoned, he was the  master of the events, the chief prosecuting attorney of  the New World order. It was his day. Seldom has such a  convincing prosecutor been seen before a court  

In order to demonstration that the charges against him  were based on lies, Milosevic showed the court excerpts  from the ARD-television documentary "It Began With a Lie."  [Shown last year on German television-tr] In this  documentary the alleged Racak Massacre was exposed as a  contrived provocation.

Milosevic contrasted this film with the media encirclement  of Serbia during his time in office. "That is only an  atom, a fraction of an atom in an ocean of lies,  propaganda and the misuse of the global media as an  instrument of war against my country."

Then Milosevic went after the accusations of the  prosecution, that his inconsiderate striving for power and  thoughtless misuse of Serbian nationalism had brought  about the collapse of Yugoslavia. He quoted from his  historical speech in 1989 in the Field of Blackbirds [in  Kosovo], which in the prosecution's charges was marked as  inciting war. This had been on the contrary an eminent  speech, Milosevic said, a recognition of the need for the  peoples of Yugoslavia to live together in equality.

At that time he said, "Socialism allows no separation of  the peoples into ethnic and religious groups. The only  difference, that socialism allows us to make, is that  between honorable and dishonorable people, between people  who work and those who do not work." And further,  "Yugoslavia is a multinational society and can only  survive on the basis of equality under the law."

Milosevic defended himself against the charge that he  followed a plan leading to a "Greater Serbia." Serbian  socialism stood for the continuity of Yugoslavia and had  come out against secessionist voices in the Serbian  population. Yugoslavia supported the struggle of the  Serbian populations in Croatia and Bosnia for national  self-determination and at the same time came out for the  quickest possible end of the fratricidal wars of  secession.

The charges made against the prosecution found their high  point in a detailed listing of NATO war crimes. Milosevic  presented broad-ranging pictorial evidence. The photos  showed people torn apart by U.S. cluster bombs, blown up  apartment houses and destroyed industrial sites in Serbia.  The request to treat this material as evidence was greeted  by the tribunal members with recognizable distaste.  

"That is the house, in which the 11-year-old Milica  Jovanovic was killed," said the accused accuser. Thirty  percent of the people killed by NATO bombs were children.  Milosevic spoke of the social sadism of aggressors, during  which he mentioned over and over that the aggressive push  of the bomber pilots above all was directed toward cities  and villages with the highest concentration of weaker  members of the population. The listing of medical  establishments and schools destroyed by the bombing war  took many minutes. "It was a war directed against the  civilian population," according to Milosevic. The number  of destroyed social-service buildings far outnumbered the  number of destroyed tanks.

The Albanian population suffered no less than the other  peoples of Yugoslavia under the NATO bombardment. Slobodan  Milosevic reminded the court of April 14, 1999. A caravan  of Albanian refugees was moving in the direction of  Prizren, back to their home villages. Those were the  Kosovo-Albanians attacked by NATO airplanes. The  documentation showed torn-apart corpses of children and  seniors, the head of a man separated from his body.  

Why had they become targets? asked Milosevic. Because the  refugees had moved in the wrong direction and thereby  countered the NATO propaganda about the hundreds of  thousands of Kosovo-Albanians who were supposed to be  fleeing from Serbs. Along with bombs, leaflets fell from  the heavens, on which the Albanians were urged to flee.  Many, who didn't follow this advice were executed by the  KLA [the right-wing pro-NATO terrorist group].  

The lonely man from The Hague had carried out on this  Thursday convincing work clarifying the events. But this  tribunal is not concerned with enlightenment. This Friday,  Feb. 15, the defendant will continue to develop his  charges against NATO in The Hague.

Translation by John Catalinotto, International Action  Center

From Junge Welt at: http://www.jungewelt.de/2002/02-15/001.php  


 Jugoslawischer Ex-Präsident setzte die NATO und das Haager Tribunal

auf die junge Welt, 15.2.2002, Seite 1

Anklagebank. Von Werner Pirker

Der Tag des Milosevic

Der dritte Verhandlungstag im Den Haager Prozeß gegen den ehemaligen jugoslawischen Staatspräsidenten Slobodan Milosevic gehörte dem Angeklagten. Konsequent seiner Linie folgend, dem Tribunal die Legitimität abzusprechen, gestalte Milosevic seine Rede am Donnerstag zu einer Anklage gegen den "illegalen Gerichtshof" und gegen den "verbrecherischen Krieg der NATO gegen Jugoslawien".  

Milosevics Ausführungen waren ruhig, sachlich und von bestechender Logik. Es war die größte Rede seines Lebens. Denn dieses mal sprach er nicht vor einer Million begeisterter Anhänger, wie 1989 auf dem Amselfeld, sondern vor einem Gericht, dessen Daseinszweck darin besteht, ihn aus der menschlichen Gesellschaft zu verbannen. In diesem Mikrokosmos, der ihn gefangen hält, war er der Herr des Geschehens, Chefankläger der Opfer der neuen Weltordnung. Es war sein Tag. Selten noch hat man vor Gericht einen überzeugenderen Ankläger gesehen.

Um zu demonstrieren, daß die Anklage gegen ihn auf Lügen beruht, ließ Milosevic Auszüge aus der ARD-Fernsehdokumentation "Es begann mit einer Lüge" vorführen. Darin wird das angebliche Massaker von Racak als provokatorische Inszenierung bloßgestellt. Milosevic kontrastierte diesen Film mit der medialen Umzingelung Serbiens während seiner Amtszeit: "Das ist nur ein Atom, der Bruchteil eines Atoms im Ozean der Lügen, der Propaganda und des Mißbrauchs der globalen Medien als Kriegsinstrument gegen mein Land."

Danach ging Milosevic auf Vorwürfe der Anklage ein, seine rücksichtslose Machtpolitik und bedenkenlose Instrumentalisierung des serbischen Nationalismus hätte den Untergang Jugoslawiens bewirkt. Er zitierte aus seiner historischen Rede auf dem Amselfeld 1989, die in der Anklageschrift als Kriegshetze gebrandmarkt wird. Dies sei doch eine hervorragende Rede gewesen, meinte Milosevic, ein Bekenntnis zum gleichberechtigten Zusammenleben der Völker Jugoslawiens. Damals sagte er: "Der Sozialismus erlaubt keine Trennung des Volkes in ethnische und religiöse Gruppierungen. Der einzige Unterschied, den der Sozialismus zu machen erlaubt, ist der zwischen ehrlichen und unehrlichen Menschen, zwischen Menschen, die arbeiten und solchen, die nicht arbeiten." Und weiter: "Jugoslawien ist eine multinationale Gemeinschaft und kann nur auf der Grundlage der Gleichberechtigung überleben".  

Milosevic verwehrte sich gegen den Vorwurf, großserbische Ziele verfolgt zu haben. Die serbischen Sozialisten stünden für die Kontinuität Jugoslawiens und seien gegen sezessionistische Stimmungen in der serbischen Bevölkerung aufgetreten. Jugoslawien habe dem Kampf der kroatischen und bosnischen Serben um nationale Selbstbestimmung unterstützt und sei gleichzeitig für eine schnellstmögliche Beendigung der brudermörderischen Sezesionskriege eingetreten.  

Die Anklage gegen die Anklage fand ihren Höhepunkt in einer detaillierten Auflistung von NATO-Kriegsverbrechen. Milosevic präsentierte umfangreiches Bildmaterial. Die Fotos zeigten von US-Kassettenbomben zerfetzte Menschen, zerbombte Wohnhäuser und zerstörte Industrieanlagen in Serbien. Der Aufforderung, das Material zu begutachten, kamen die Mitglieder des Tribunals mit erkennbarem Widerwillen nach. "Das ist das Haus, in dem die 11jährige Milica Jovanovic den Tod fand", sagte der angeklagte Ankläger. 30 Prozent der von den NATO-Bomben Getöteten waren Kinder. Milosevic sprach den sozialen Sadismus der Aggressoren an, indem er immer wieder erwähnte, daß sich der Aggressionsdrang der Bomberpiloten vor allem gegen Städte und Dörfer mit einer hohen Konzentration von sozial schwachen Menschen ausgetobt habe. Die Aufzählung der im Bombenkrieg zerstörten medizinischen Einrichtungen und Schulen zog sich über Minuten hin. "Es war ein gezielter Krieg gegen die Zivilbevölkerung", so Milosevic. Die Zahl zerstörter Sozialeinrichtungen hätte die Zahl abgeschossener Panzer um ein Vielfaches übertroffen.    

Die albanische Bevölkerung hätte unter dem Bombardement der NATO nicht weniger gelitten als die anderen Völker Jugoslawiens. Slobodan Milosevic erinnerte an den 14. April 1999. Ein Treck albanischer Flüchtlinge bewegte sich in Richtung Prizren, zurück in ihre heimatlichen Dörfer. Da wurden die Kosovo-Albaner von NATO-Flugzeugen angegriffen. Die Dokumentation zeigt verstümmelte Leichen von Kindern und Greisen, den Kopf eines Mannes, der vom Rumpf getrennt worden war. Warum wurden sie zu Zielscheiben, fragte Milosevic. Weil sich die Flüchtlinge in die falsche Richtung bewegt hatten und so die NATO-Propaganda von zu Hunderttausenden vor den Serben flüchtenden Albanern konterkarierten. Neben Bomben seien auch Flugblätter vom Himmel gefallen, auf denen die Albaner zur Flucht aufgefordert worden seinen. Viele, die dem nicht nachkamen, seien von der UCK exekutiert worden.

Der einsame Mann von Den Haag hat an diesem Donnerstag überzeugende Aufklärungsarbeit geleistet. Doch um Aufklärung ist dieses Tribunal nicht bemüht. Am heutigen Freitag setzt der Angeklagte seine Klage gegen die NATO in Den Haag fort.  

*****

Rüdiger Göbel

Tageszeitung junge Welt
Karl-Liebknecht-Straße 32
10178 Berlin

Tel. +49-30-53 63 55 71
Fax +49-30-53 63 55 44
email: rg@jungewelt.de
 

 

Share this page with a friend

International Action Center
39 West 14th Street, Room 206
New York, NY 10011

email: mailto:iacenter@action-mail.org
En Espanol: iac-cai@action-mail.org
Web: http://www.iacenter.org
Support Mumia Abu-Jamal:
http://www.millions4mumia.org/
phone: 212 633-6646
fax: 212 633-2889

Make
a donation to the IAC and its projects

 

The International Action Center
Home     ActionAlerts    Press