Leaked cables confirm U.S. role in Somalia war
By Abayomi Azikiwe
Editor, Pan-African News Wire
Jan 4, 2012
The Wikileaks website released cables showing that plans for the Kenyan
military invasion of southern Somalia had been mapped out for nearly two years
and refuting claims that the intervention was done without Washington’s
knowledge. They showed that high-level meetings had taken place in early 2010
in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, which laid the ground work for renewed attempts to
eliminate the Al-Shabaab Islamic resistance movement that controls large
sections of the Horn of Africa nation.
This secret plan, dubbed “Jubaland Initiative,” outlined the
creation of an artificial state in southern Somalia in an effort to choke off
Al-Shabaab from the border areas near Kenya. At the meeting in Ethiopia in
January 2010, the Kenyan delegation led by Foreign Affairs Minister Moses
Wetang’ula appealed for U.S. support for the operation.
Other Kenyan officials in the delegation included Chief of General Staff
Jeremiah Kianga, Defense Minister Yusuf Haji and Director of National Security
Intelligence Services Maj.-Gen. Michael Gichang’i. This meeting in Addis
Ababa was just one in a series of discussions designed to enlist U.S. support
for the current military operations.
Operation Linda Nchi, the Kenyan invasion of southern Somalia, began on Oct.
16 and involved over 2,000 Kenyan troops. The war has become bogged down due to
the lack of logistical coordination, the inclement weather and the formidable
resistance to the intervention by Al-Shabaab and its supporters inside the
country.
A Dec. 17 article in the Kenya Daily Nation points out, “The cables
also say the military action took years of planning and was not a spontaneous
reaction to abductions conducted by the Islamist group on Kenyan soil as
repeatedly stated by government officials. The abductions seemed to provide
Kenya with a convenient excuse to launch the plan, which, officials argued, was
necessary to ensure protection against threats posed by an unstable
neighbor.”
Cables released by Wikileaks reveals that Kenyan Foreign Minister
Wetang’ula had informed U.S. Undersecretary of State for African Affairs
Johnnie Carson of developments being made in preparation for the invasion of
Somalia. The plan was to invade Somalia, drive away Al-Shabaab units from the
border and then seize the port at Kismayo.
The Kenyan government justified the invasion based on false allegations that
Al-Shabaab planned to stockpile weapons near the border with Kenya and send its
fighters into the neighboring country. One U.S. diplomatic cable indicated that
Kenyan Director of Military Intelligence Brig. Philip Kameru told visiting U.S.
Ambassador-at-Large for Counterterrorism Daniel Benjamin that Al-Shabaab had
plans to begin incursions inside Kenyan territory.
The U.S. diplomatic cable stated, “[Kameru] added that the Director of
Military Intelligence expects Al-Shabaab to begin cross-border incursions into
Kenya and he claimed to have received reports indicating Al-Shabaab has plans
to use improvised explosive devices and landmines against security personnel
and civilian traffic inside Kenya.” (Daily Nation, Dec. 17)
Other false claims reported to the U.S. ambassador involved unsubstantiated
reports that Al-Shabaab was circulating currency obtained through piracy and
purchasing real estate inside Kenya. Officials from Kenya also told Washington
that Al-Shabaab was radicalizing youth inside the East African country.
Al-Shabaab has denied participation in hijacking ships in the Gulf of Aden
and in kidnappings taking place in Kenya. The Islamist organization is now
fighting to drive outside forces from Somalia.
Fighting intensifies inside Somalia
The Kenyan army’s drive to eliminate Al-Shabaab bases in southern
Somalia has been frustrated. U.S. drone attacks assisting the Kenyan’s
efforts have killed hundreds of civilians. The French military has also been
responsible for logistical and naval support and bombings of Somali
territory.
In addition, the Israeli state has deployed drones in Somalia. And the
African Union Mission to Somalia (AMISOM), which consists of 9,000 Ugandan and
Burundian troops, has stepped up military operations against Al-Shabaab in the
capital of Mogadishu and other areas in the central regions of the country.
With troops stalled on the ground, the Kenyan Air Force has engaged in
bombing operations in southern Somalia. According to Mareeg Online, “On
Dec. 13 the military choppers destroyed Al-Shabaab camps at Garbaguso, Afmadow
airstrip and Usingo.”
In a military briefing on Dec. 17, Kenyan Col. Cyrus Oguna reported that the
Air Force attacked and destroyed a purported Al-Shabaab camp at Wamaitho on
Dec. 14. (Mareeg Online, Dec. 18) The following day additional strikes were
carried out against areas in northern Somalia at Bungavu.
Oguna also reported that there were numerous casualties among the Somalis
and said that no injuries or deaths took place on the Kenyan side.
“Kismayo hospital has been overflowing with the injured,” Oguna
said during the press briefing.
In response to reports that Kenyan military forces would join AMISOM in
joint efforts against Al-Shabaab, Oguna asserted that this merger would not
prevent Kenya from engaging in separate military operations in Somalia.
Reports from other areas of Somalia indicate that clashes are escalating
between Al-Shabaab and the Transitional Federal Government’s allied
militia known as Ahlu Suna. In Dhusamareb City in the Galgudud region, at least
10 people were killed and a number of others were wounded in bitter fighting
between supporters and opponents of the U.S.-backed TFG regime.
Meanwhile inside Kenya, it was reported that a policeman was killed in the
northern region near the Dadaab refugee camp where many Somalis have taken
flight in response to the horrendous food shortages inside the country. Kenyan
authorities said the policeman was killed in an explosion as he was traveling
in a vehicle.
This incident took place amid a series of small-scale attacks that have
targeted Kenyan security forces since the beginning of the Kenya Defense Force
invasion of Somalia. Dadaab is currently housing approximately 400,000 refugees
from Somalia.
Imperialist intervention cannot stabilize TFG
regime
Despite these multiple outside interventions, Somalia is becoming more
unstable every day. A split within the TFG parliament has led to the expulsion
of the speaker of the assembly, Sharif Hassan Sheikh Aden, who was fired in a
dispute over the future of the transition process.
Both the United Nations and the United States have issued statements
demanding the end to these internal power struggles within the TFG. The interim
regime in Mogadishu could not survive long without the intervention of
U.S.-backed forces in the capital and other regions of the country.
A Dec. 19 U.N. statement says, “A joint delegation of the UN, the
African Union and a regional organization has urged Somalia’s
transitional institutions to quickly resolve a political stand-off triggered by
last week’s passing by Parliament of a vote of no-confidence against the
Speaker Sharif Hassan Sheikh Aden.” The U.N. urged all parties involved
in the interim TFG to rapidly implement the so-called Kampala Accord, which
provides a framework for the continuation of the current political dispensation
for another year.
A similar U.S. statement acknowledges that Washington “has been
following with concern recent developments within the Transitional Federal
Government’s Parliament, including efforts to remove the Speaker and
Deputy Speakers. We call on all the signatory institutions to set aside
distracting political infighting and instead focus their efforts on fulfilling
their collective obligations under the Kampala Accords and the Roadmap.”
(Mareeg Online)
At the same time Al-Shabaab has threatened to attack a planned
Constitutional Conference on the future of Somalia. This conference, which was
postponed until Dec. 20, is bringing together all signatories of the Kampala
Accord and the Roadmap.
U.S. hands off Somalia!
The U.S. military is intervening in Somalia to control political
developments in the Horn of Africa as well as other states in East Africa. The
Pentagon has been involved in Somalia directly for at least since 1992, when
thousands of Marines were sent into the country under the guise of a
humanitarian mission to fight famine.
In 1993, large sections of the Somalian population rose up against the U.S.
and U.N. military, prompting their withdrawal in 1994. Since 2006, Washington
has sponsored the Ethiopian and Kenyan governments to militarily intervene on
behalf of their interests in Somalia.
At present large flotillas of warships from the U.S., Europe and other
states are patrolling the Gulf of Aden off the coast of Somalia under the
pretext of fighting piracy. Nonetheless, all these efforts have failed to
stabilize Somalia in the interests of Western imperialism.
The problems and political differences in the Horn of Africa must be
resolved by the people themselves. Anti-war and anti-imperialist forces in the
Western states must oppose U.S. and NATO intervention in East Africa as well as
encourage the people and governments of the region to embark upon efforts aimed
at finding a lasting and just resolution to the ongoing conflict.