Afghanistan erupts with anti-U.S./NATO protests
Apr 17, 2011
Already bogged down in a bitter war of occupation, the U.S. has found itself
facing renewed outrage by Afghans who are protesting both the U.S. and its NATO
allies. Otherwise “pacified” cities have joined with guerrilla
forces operating mainly in the countryside to demand that U.S. and NATO forces
leave immediately.
Anger over the burning of the Muslim holy book by a Florida-based
reactionary religious sect fueled the latest protests. The sect burning of the
Quran took place on March 20 under the supervision of Terry Jones. Last
September, after backing down from previous threats to burn the Quran, Jones
had promised never to burn the Muslim holy book.
On April 1, thousands of demonstrators in the northern city of
Mazar-i-Sharif poured into the streets after Friday prayers and overran a U.N.
compound, killing three U.N. staff members and four Nepalese guards. Security
forces killed four demonstrators.
The next day hundreds of Afghans holding copies of the Quran over their
heads marched in Kandahar before attacking cars and businesses. Security forces
opened fire and nine protesters were killed. Kandahar’s governor claimed
that officers had only fired into the air. He said 81 were wounded and 17
people, including seven armed men, had been arrested.
In Jalalabad, the largest city in the east, hundreds of people blocked the
main highway for three hours, shouting for U.S. troops to leave, burning an
effigy of President Barack Obama and stomping on a drawing of a U.S. flag. More
than 1,000 people set tires ablaze to block the highway in eastern Parwan
province for about an hour, provincial police chief Sher Ahmad Maladani told
the Associated Press. (April 3)
Resentment building for years
Resentment has been building for years in Afghanistan over the operations of
Western military forces, who are blamed for killing and mistreating civilians,
and international contractors, who are seen by many as enriching themselves and
fueling corruption at the expense of ordinary Afghans.
Coverage of the ongoing trial of a group of U.S. soldiers charged with
killing Afghan civilians and publication of photos taken by some of those
soldiers posing with dead bodies also fueled that anger.
Military commander and top NATO civilian representative in Afghanistan, Gen.
Mark Sedwill, rather lamely said that they “hope the Afghan people
understand that the actions of a small number of individuals, who have been
extremely disrespectful to the Holy Qur’an, are not representative of any
of the countries of the international community who are in Afghanistan to help
the Afghan people.” (AP, April 3)
But the people of Afghanistan aren’t buying this lie.
Not surprisingly, the Florida group burned the Quran just one week after
Rep. Peter King’s “Homeland Security” Congressional Committee
launched a vicious attack on the U.S. Muslim community. King demanded an
investigation into all mosques to see whether they were doing enough to find
and expose “terrorists.” King was appealing to racist reactionary
constituents who have been trying to stop the building of a mosque in downtown
Manhattan.
Afghans and Muslims around the world might very well ask, “Who is
disrespecting whom?”