Tens of thousands say “Hands Off Korea!”

In response to growing tensions between the DPRK and the United States, activists in the U.S. have launched a national U.S. Hands Off Korean Campaign.

 “Response has been overwhelming. In just the first day, Monday, more than 25,000 petitions were sent to President Bush, Vice President Cheney, and members of Congress,” said Sara Flounders, an organizer with the Campaign. “We have been getting calls and emails from across the globe expressing support for this effort. It is clear to everyone that this crisis is entirely fabricated--countries test missiles all the time. The U.S. fires missiles in the region routinely. India tested missiles yesterday and today. The DPRK has every right to test a missile or whatever weapons it needs for its own defense."

It’s clear from the response we’ve gotten so far that people all over the world recognize that the DPRK test of a handful of missiles is no threat to anyone. The real threat to peace is the massive mobilization by the U.S. – three carrier groups—which is the largest Naval exercise since the Vietnam war,” said Dustin Langley, a Navy veteran and organizer with the Hands Off Korea Committee. “The DPRK has repeatedly asked to end the state of war that has existed since the 1950’s, but it is always the U.S. government that refuses.”

The petition notes that, not only is the DPRK the target of a massive U.S. Naval mobilization, but that North Korea was listed by President Bush as a member of the "axis of evil," along with Iraq and Iran. The petition says, "As the whole world witnesses the torture, rape, and murder that ‘regime change’ has brought to the people of Iraq, the DPRK has every reason to be concerned and has every right to take necessary steps to defend itself."

The Campaign’s online petition is located at http://www.iacenter.org/koreacampaign.shtml and calls for:

 · An end to Washington's campaign of lies and hostility towards the people of North Korea.
 · An end to the military operations targeting North Korea.
 · That the U.S. end the state of war with North Korea that has lasted more than 50 years. · The immediate withdrawal of the U.S. naval carrier groups deployed against the DPRK.

Organizers say that they are planning educational forums and other public events to "expose the U.S. agenda in Korea and to prevent another war of aggression by the Bush Administration."

U.S. Hands Off Korea Committee
55 W. 17th St. #5B
NY NY 10011
212-633-6646

Media Contact:
Dustin Langley 212-633-6646, 646-354-8056

 

Share this page with a friend

International Action Center
39 West 14th Street, Room 206
New York, NY 10011

email: mailto:iacenter@action-mail.org
En Espanol: iac-cai@action-mail.org
Web: http://www.iacenter.org
Support Mumia Abu-Jamal:
http://www.millions4mumia.org/
phone: 212 633-6646
fax: 212 633-2889

Make
a donation to the IAC and its projects

 

The International Action Center
Home     ActionAlerts    Press