REPORT FROM IRAQ: U.S. DROPS BOMBS EVERY DAY
By Brian Becker
Mosul, IraqA trip through Iraq in blistering late-August heat makes it crystal clear that the Bush administration is already waging a "pre-war" war that includes bombings almost on a daily basis.
Designed to degrade Iraq's potential for air defense and to monitor its military response to air assaults, these bombings are taking a toll. People are getting killed and wounded regularly, but you would never know it if your source of information is the Western mass media.
This writer went to Iraq on Aug. 25 as part of a fact- finding anti-war delegation led by former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark. The delegation flew into Iraq's "no- fly zones" in the north and south of the country for five days. In those five days, the U.S. bombed Iraq on five separate occasions.
True to form, the U.S. media said almost nothing about these daily bombings. Each day after we returned from the site of the latest bombing we would check the web sites of the Western media. Nary a peep about the lawless aggression waged from the skies by U.S. warplanes. Instead, the U.S. media focused its coverage on "why Saddam Hussein is such a great threat to world peace."
BOMBS DROP EVERY DAY
On Aug. 25, U.S. planes bombed Basra, the second-largest city in Iraq. Eight people died on the spot and 10 more were wounded. When we arrived in Basra on Aug. 27, we learned that one of the seriously injured had also died from his wounds.
When the U.S. press does mention the regular bombings of Iraq, it usually buries the information in a small article far from the front page. The Pentagon is almost always quoted, explaining that the attacks were in self-defense. They say it was against military targets and against Iraqi radar, which was flipped on to trace U.S. and British warplanes overflying Iraq's airspace in two large areas in both northern and southern Iraq.
But civilians as well as soldiers are being hit.
"We heard a terrible explosion Sunday morning here in the hotel," a worker at the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Basra told us. "It was close by and we could hear it and feel it. Thousands of civilians live in this area, so naturally many of the casualties were civilians."
The decision to create the "no-fly zones" was not authorized by the United Nations. Rather it was the decision of the major imperialist countries-the United States, Britain and France-to refuse to allow Iraq to fly its own aircraft in the areas of the countries where almost all of its oil is located. But of course the imperialists could fly their planes in the zones. These zones were created in 1992. France later changed its policy toward Iraq and withdrew its warplanes in the mid-1990s.
While the delegation was visiting one of the wounded at the Training Hospital in Basra, U.S. warplanes struck again- attacking Mosul in the north and Al-Nukhayb, south of Baghdad.
The delegation managed to fly into Mosul about 36 hours after the strike. Mosul is a beautiful and historic city in the far north of Iraq. It borders the predominantly Kurdish area and is located inside the no-fly zone.
The civilian airport had been without radar since the 1991 Gulf War. It had been largely non-functional until recently, when the government decided to defy the no-fly zone and resume daily flights into the city from Baghdad. The assumption was that U.S. aircraft would not shoot down civilian airliners.
U.S. warplanes have not yet shot down any passenger planes, but on Aug. 27 two powerful missiles took out the airport's radar that guides the civilian airliners in their takeoff and landing and as they travel through the surrounding air space.
The delegation went through the wreckage of the totally destroyed radar, which lay in crumpled ruins not far from the runway. The radar was very old, made up of balkanized parts from earlier rudimentary radar systems. Clearly, it was not a sophisticated military-type radar.
The civilian terminal was about 200 yards from where the missiles hit. The force of the explosion shattered the windows along the waiting rooms.
RIGHT TO AIR SAFETY
Barred from most trade and commerce for 12 years, Iraq has had to submit potential contracts for equipment to a UN sanctions committee. Iraq has had a pending request before the sanctions committee to import a modern radar for Mosul airport, but so far the U.S. has blocked the application. Iraqi technicians cobbled the old radar pieces together and installed this electronic relic on June 4. Now that U.S. missiles have taken out the radar, Iraqi civilian passengers must fly blind into Mosul-an area that has more bad weather than most parts of the country.
As we walked through the snarled rolls of metal in the airport, it was hard not to ponder what the effect would be if the shoe was on the other foot. What would be the emotional and psychological impact on the people in the United States if the radar they depended on for air safety were destroyed without provocation and without warning by fighter planes from a foreign power?
Asking the question, of course, answers it. But the Bush administration is hoping that the demonization and racist images of Iraq will successfully prevent people from asking this question.
Since December 1998, the U.S. has bombed Iraq regularly without mass protest. The U.S. pulled UN weapons inspectors out of the country on Dec. 16, 1998, and began a four-day campaign that included the launching of 400 cruise missiles and dropping of 600 precision bombs on Iraq.
Iraq claims that more than 1,500 people have been killed by U.S. bombs since the Gulf War ended.
As the Bush administration prepares for a massive invasion and bombing campaign under the doctrine of preemptive war, it is clear to the people everywhere that these are just fancy words for aggression.
Ramsey Clark's visit to Iraq included an explicit anti-war message. The mass media around the world gave coverage to the trip, and there was limited coverage in the U.S. Clark appeared live on three consecutive CNN segments on Aug. 29, where he was accused by CNN correspondent Wolf Blitzer of being "used by Saddam Hussein."
Clark ridiculed the accusation, replying: "You can still say what you believe, you can still stand for what is right. If you don't do that, who are you, what do you stand for, and what's going to happen to the world?"
In his interviews in the media, Clark insisted that the decisive factor in stopping the war was the mobilization of opposition inside the United States. "We can stop the Bush administration but we must act now. People everywhere must mobilize for the Oct. 26 March on Washington. We cannot let the government speak in our name and carry out this war that aims to dominate the people of the Middle East and the natural resources of this region."
Brian Becker is a co-director of the International Action Center. He was a member of a U.S. anti-war delegation that traveled throughout Iraq from August 25 to 30. The delegation also included Ramsey Clark, Johnnie Stevens, co- director of the Peoples Video Network, Mara Verheyden- Hilliard, attorney and co-founder of the D.C.-based public- interest law firm, Partnership for Civil Justice, and Khadouri al-Kaysi of the IAC.
Reportage en Irak - les USA bombardent chaque jour Un voyage à travers l'Irak dans la chaleur de la fin août permet de voir clairement que l'administration Bush mène déjà une "pré-guerre". Les bombardements sont quasi quotidiens.
Brian Becker
en direct de Mossoul, Irak. 06-09-2002Destinés à casser le potentiel irakien de défense aérienne et à évaluer sa réponse militaire aux attaques aériennes, ces bombardements exigent un lourd tribut. Des gens sont régulièrement tués ou blessés, mais vous n'en saurez rien si vous cherchez vos informations dans les médias occidentaux.
L'auteur s'est rendu en Irak le 25 août, en compagnie d'une mission d'enquête contre la guerre, dirigée par l'ancien ministre de la Justice américain, Ramsey Clark. La délégation s'est rendue dans les zones "de non-vol" au Nord et au Sud du pays, pendant cinq jours. Durant ces cinq jours, les USA ont bombardé l'Irak à cinq reprises différentes.
Fidèles à leurs maîtres, les médias US n'ont presque rien dit de ces bombardements quotidiens. Chaque fois que nous revenions du lieu du dernier bombardement, nous avons consulté les sites internet des médias occidentaux. Pas le moindre écho de cette agression sans foi ni loi perpétrée depuis le ciel par les avions de guerre américains. Au contraire, les médias US focalisent leurs reportages sur "pourquoi Saddam Hussein est une telle menace pour la paix mondiale."
DES BOMBES CHAQUE JOUR
Le 25 août, des avions US ont bombardé Bassorah, la deuxième ville d'Irak. Huit personnes sont mortes sur le coup et 10 autres ont été blessées. Quand nous sommes arrivés à Bassorah le 27 août, nous avons appris que l'un des blessés graves venait de décéder des suites de ses blessures.
Quand la presse américaine parle des bombardements réguliers contre l'Irak, elle enterre l'information dans un tout petit article très loin de la une. Le Pentagone est presque chaque fois cité, expliquant que ces attaques étaient de la légitime défense. Ils disent que c'était contre des cibles militaires et un radar irakien, installé pour suivre les avions de guerre américains et britanniques qui survolent l'espace aérien irakien dans deux grandes régions au Nord et au Sud de l'Irak.
Mais les civils sont autant touchés que les soldats.
"Nous avons entendu une terrible explosion dimanche matin ici à l'hôtel" nous a raconté un travailleur de l'hôtel Sheraton à Bassorah. "C'était tout près, nous avons pu l'entendre et le sentir. Des milliers de civils vivent dans ce quartier, et beaucoup des victimes sont bien sûr des civils."
La décision de créer des zones "de non-vol" n'a pas été approuvée par les Nations Unies. C'était plutôt une décision des grands pays impérialistes Etats-Unis, Grande Bretagne et France pour refuser le droit à l'Irak de survoler avec sa propre force aérienne les régions du pays où presque tout son pétrole est localisé. Les impérialistes se sont évidemment arrogé le droit de survoler ces zones. Ces zones ont été créées en 1992. La France a changé par la suite sa politique envers l'Irak et a retiré ses appareils au milieu des années 90.
Alors que la délégation rendait visite à l'un des blessés à l'hôpital universitaire de Bassorah, les avions américains ont frappé à nouveau, attaquant Mossoul, dans le Nord, et Al-Nukhayb, au sud de Bagdad.
La délégation a pu se rendre à Mossoul 36 heures après la frappe. Mossoul est une belle ville historique, tout au Nord de l'Irak, au bord de la région kurde. Elle est située dans la zone de non-vol.
L'aéroport civil est sans radar depuis la guerre du Golfe de 1991. Il n'était presque plus fonctionnel, jusqu'à une période très récente, où le gouvernement a décidé de défier la zone de non-vol et de reprendre les vols quotidiens en liaison avec Bagdad. La supposition était que la chasse américaine ne tirerait pas sur des avions civils.
Les avions US n'ont pas encore abattu d'avion de ligne, mais le 27 août, deux missiles puissants ont mis hors d'usage le radar qui guide les avions civils au décollage, à l'atterrissage et pendant leur survol de l'espace environnant.
La délégation a vu les restes du radar totalement détruit, qui gît en ruines pas loin de la piste. Le radar était très vieux, bricolé à partir de pièces provenant d'anciens systèmes de radar rudimentaires. Ce n'était visiblement pas un radar sophistiqué à usage militaire.
Le terminal civil était à moins de 200 mètres du lieu d'impact des missiles. La force de l'explosion a fracassé les vitres des salles d'attentes.
DROIT A LA SECURITE AERIENNE
Privé de la plupart de ses relations commerciales depuis 12 ans, l'Irak a dû soumettre ses demandes de contrats d'équipement à un comité des sanctions, sous l'égide de l'Onu. L'Irak avait introduit auprès de ce comité des sanctions une demande d'importation pour un radar moderne afin d'équiper l'aéroport de Mossoul, mais les USA l'avaient bloquée. Des techniciens irakiens ont rafistolé le vieux radar et installé cette relique électronique le 4 juin. Maintenant que les missiles américains l'ont mis hors d'usage, les avions transportant des civils doivent voler à l'aveuglette vers Mossoul, une région qui connaît plus d'intempéries que la plupart du pays.
Alors que nous marchions à travers les débris de métal dans l'aéroport, il était difficile de ne pas se demander quel serait l'effet du scénario inverse. Quel serait l'impact émotionnel et psychologique sur la population des Etats-Unis, si, en l'absence de toute provocation, le radar dont elle dépendait pour sa sécurité aérienne était détruit sans crier gare par des avions de combat d'une puissance étrangère?
Poser la question, c'est y répondre. Mais l'administration Bush espère que la diabolisation et les représentations racistes de l'Irak sauront empêcher la population de se poser cette question.
Depuis décembre 1998, les USA ont régulièrement bombardé l'Irak, sans protestations massives. Les USA ont retiré les inspecteurs militaires onusiens du pays le 16 décembre 1998 et ont déclenché quatre jours de campagne comprenant le lancement de 400 missiles de croisière et le largage de 600 bombes de précision sur l'Irak.
L'Irak soutient que plus de 1.500 personnes ont été tuées par des bombes US depuis la fin de la Guerre du Golfe.
Alors que l'administration Bush prépare une invasion massive et une campagne de bombardement sous prétexte d'une guerre préventive, il est clair pour tout le monde que ces mots masquent une réelle agression.
La visite de Ramsey Clark en Irak voulait explicitement transmettre un message contre la guerre. Dans le monde, les médias ont couvert ce voyage, et il y a eu des reportages, limités, aux Etats-Unis. Clark est intervenu en direct trois fois de suite sur CNN le 29 août, où le journaliste Wolf Blitzer l'a accusé d'être «utilisé par Saddam Hussein".
Clark a ridiculisé l'accusation, en répondant: «Vous pouvez toujours dire ce que vous croyez, vous pouvez toujours défendre ce qui est juste. Si vous ne le faites pas, qui êtes-vous, que défendez-vous, et que va-t-il arriver au monde?»
Dans ses entretiens avec les médias, Clark a expliqué avec insistance que le facteur décisif pour arrêter la guerre est la mobilisation de l'opposition à l'intérieur des Etats-Unis. «Nous pouvons arrêter Bush, mais il faut agir maintenant. Il faut mobiliser partout pour la Marche sur Washington du 26 octobre. Nous ne pouvons pas laisser parler le gouvernement en notre nom et mener cette guerre dont le but est de dominer les peuples du Moyen-Orient et les ressources naturelles de cette région."
Brian Becker est co-directeur de l'International Action Center. Il faisait partie de la délégation US contre la guerre qui a voyagé à travers l'Irak du 25 au 30 août. Etaient également membres de la délégation: Ramsey Clark, Johnnie Stevens, co-directeur du Peoples Video Network, Mara Verheyden- Hilliard, juriste et co-fondatrice de Partnership for Civil Justice et Khadouri al-Kaysi, du IAC.
.
International Action Center
39 West 14th Street, Room 206
New York, NY 10011
email: iacenter@action-mail.org
En Espanol: el_iac@yahoo.com
web: http://www.iacenter.org
CHECK OUT SITE http://www.mumia2000.org
phone: 212 633-6646
fax: 212 633-2889
To make a tax-deductible donation,
go to http://www.peoplesrightsfund.org