New U.S. Demand for Iraq  Inspections in August
Signal Possible Election-Year Ploy

 July 5, 2000                                                          

The new UN commission for weapons inspections UNMOVIC, is preparing  to enter Iraq in August. According to Former U.S. Marine Intelligence Colonel and weapons inspector Scott Ritter the new demand for inspection is a Clinton administration election ploy to provoke an escalation of bombing and a new round of open warfare against the people of Iraq. Ritter told the  British newspaper The Independent yesterday that the inspection team clearly had no realistic chance of being allowed into Iraq in August. Ritter was a member of the UNSCOM inspection team that was ejected from Iraq in  December of 1998 after carrying out spy operations in collusion with the CIA and collecting target data for U.S. and British military forces. 

"The new commission, UNMOVIC, will not be allowed into Iraq in August,  three months away from the election," said Ritter. "You have got a Vice   President, Al Gore, trailing behind in the polls, and what better way to appear  tough and switch attention away to a so-called foreign threat." Gore has said  in campaign speeches that he had favored the continuation of all-out war  against Iraq in 1998 when President Clinton moved to de-escalate the conflict. Ritter added that he expects the U.S. to draft Britain into the action as well, "to give it the appearance of something multilateral," since the UN  Security Council is unlikely to approve military action against Iraq.

Earlier this week, former UNSCOM head Richard Butler also predicted another U.S.-Iraq crisis. In a June 23 interview with Melbourne, Australian  newspaper The Age, Butler echoed Ritter by predicting that "we'll probably  have another Iraqi crisis on our hands" sometime in the next six weeks.

"These statements indicate that Iraqi lives may once again become cannon  fodder for U.S. politics," said Sara Flounders of the International Action  Center. "The horrible irony here is that the U.S. has been waging a genocidal  war on Iraq non-stop for the past ten years and the media has suppressed  this." Flounders said that statement like these from political figures with an  insider perspective on U.S. aggression against Iraq were an alarm call for the  anti-war and anti-sanctions movement. "It's clear that a major attack may  happen very soon," she said, "and we have to be ready to mobilize  opposition to this further aggression. The UNSCOM team conducted over 9,000 inspections in Iraq without finding any significant violations. Their  expulsion was the Clinton administration's excuse for its 1998 renewal of  hostilities against Iraq. Since then more than 21,600 U.S. and British  warplanes have flown into Iraqi airspace. In addition to enforcing sanctions  that have killed over a million Iraqis since 1990, there has been a bombing or  missile attack on an average of once every three days. Now a further  escalation is being planned.”

The Pentagon claims that it is merely patrolling the no-fly zones over  northern and southern Iraq, and that the bombings are in response to radar  locks from Iraqi anti-aricraft weapons. Their targets are mostly civilian  infrastructure, including schools, roads, food, power and water facilities, and  the oil wells that provide Iraq's only source of income. Pentagon officials  admit that there is no strategic relationship between Iraqi "aggression" and  these reprisal attacks. None of these activities have the approval of the UN  Security Council.

Ken MacLeish, Sarah Sloan
(212) 633-6646

International Action Center
39 West 14th Street, Room 206
New York, NY 10011
email: iacenter@iacenter.org  
web: www.iacenter.or 
CHECK OUT THE NEW SITE www.mumia2000.org 
phone: 212 633-6646
fax:   212 633-2889

 

Back to: IAC Reports and Statements on Iraq

Back to: Iraq Actions/Press Releases

 

press releases